Who needs an I-539 form?
This form is used to extend or change the non-immigrant status of an individual. The non-immigrant visas include student, work or visitor visas.
What is the I-539 form for?
This form serves as an application for extending or changing non-immigrant status. The application is usually completed by foreign students, workers or visitors from overseas who have relatives in the US. The information provided in the form is used by the Department of the Homeland Security to made a decision on the applicant’s case.
What documents must accompany the form I-539?
This application doesn’t require any other documents. The Department of Homeland Security can ask for other documents if they deem it necessary.
How long does it take to fill the I-539 form out?
The estimated time for completing the form is 20 minutes. The form is completed before the individual’s visa expires or when there is a need.
What information should be provided in the I-539 form?
The form consists of several parts which should be completed:
- Part I - Applicant’s personal information (name, address, country of birth, date of birth, SSN, date of the last arrival into the US, I-94 Number, current non-immigrant status, date of expiration)
- Part 2 - Application type (check the appropriate box)
- Part 3 - Processing the information (check the appropriate box and fill out the lines)
- Part 4 - Additional information about the applicant (passport number, foreign address, questions about the applicant’s background,
- Part 5 - Applicant’s statement and signature (this part contains the signature, date, name and email address, telephone of the applicant).
- Part 6 - Interpreter’s Statement (if required)
Supplement 1 (should be attached to the form if more than one person is included in the application).
If the filler needs additional space, a separate sheet of paper should be attached.
What do I do with the form after its completion?
The completed and signed petition is forwarded to the Department of Homeland Security.